Keno is a lottery-style gambling game that is often played in both land-based and online casinos. It’s a game of chance where players choose numbers, and then random numbers are drawn to determine winners. Here are the basic rules of Keno:
- Selecting Numbers:
- Players choose a set of numbers (usually between 1 and 80) from the keno ticket. The number of selected spots can vary.
- Placing Bets:
- Players place bets on their chosen numbers. The amount of the bet and the potential payout depend on the casino and the number of spots selected.
- Drawing Numbers:
- After players have made their selections and placed their bets, the game proceeds to the drawing phase. In land-based casinos, this is often done using a ball machine or a random number generator (RNG) in online versions.
- Winning Numbers:
- A specific number of winning numbers (spots) are randomly drawn. The number of spots drawn can vary from game to game.
- Matching Numbers:
- Players win based on how many of their chosen numbers match the drawn numbers. The more numbers matched, the higher the payout.
Types of Bets:
- Straight Bet:
- Players choose a specific number of spots, and they win if all their selected numbers are drawn.
- Way Bet:
- Players can make multiple bets on one ticket. For example, in a 3-way bet, they select three groups of numbers and win if some combination of those numbers match the drawn numbers.
- Combination Bet:
- Players can combine groups of numbers in different ways, allowing for various combinations and increasing the chances of winning.
- King Ticket:
- A King Ticket is a single number marked by the player, which is used in multiple combinations on the same ticket.
- Payout Tables:
- Payouts are determined by the casino’s keno payout table. This table specifies the payouts for different combinations of matched numbers and the player’s chosen spots.
- Varying Odds:
- The odds and potential payouts depend on the number of spots selected and the number of spots that match the drawn numbers.
- Live Keno vs. Video Keno:
- In land-based casinos, there is often a live keno drawing at specified intervals. In video keno, the drawing is simulated using a computer program.
- Online Keno:
- Many online casinos offer keno games where players can play at their own pace and select their numbers electronically.
Tips for Playing Keno:
- Understand the Payouts:
- Familiarize yourself with the payout table to know how much you can win for different combinations.
- Manage Your Bankroll:
- Set a budget and stick to it. Keno is a game of chance, and it’s important to play responsibly.
- Check the House Edge:
- Be aware that keno typically has a higher house edge compared to some other casino games.
- Play for Fun:
- Keno is a game of luck, so play for entertainment rather than relying on it as a strategy for making money.
Remember that Keno is primarily a game of luck, and outcomes are entirely random. It’s essential to approach it with the understanding that winning is based on chance rather than skill.