Phil Ivey is widely regarded as one of the greatest professional poker players in the world. Born on February 1, 1976, in Riverside, California, his poker career has been marked by tremendous success both online and in live tournaments. Here are some key points about Phil Ivey’s poker career:
- Online Success: Phil Ivey gained prominence in the early 2000s, particularly through his online poker play. He was known for his skillful and aggressive style on various online poker platforms.
- Live Tournament Achievements: Ivey has an impressive record in live poker tournaments. He has won numerous World Series of Poker (WSOP) bracelets, with victories in events spanning different poker variants. As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, he had ten WSOP bracelets.
- Main Event Final Tables: Phil Ivey has reached the final table of the prestigious WSOP Main Event multiple times. His deep runs in poker’s most iconic tournament have contributed to his status as one of the game’s legends.
- High-Stakes Cash Games: Ivey is renowned for his success in high-stakes cash games. He has been a regular participant in some of the biggest cash games in Las Vegas and other gambling hubs.
- Macau and the “Big Game”: Phil Ivey has been involved in some of the highest-stakes poker games in Macau, known as the “Big Game.” These games often feature enormous pots and attract elite poker players from around the world.
- Edge Sorting Controversy: In 2012, Ivey was involved in a controversial incident related to edge sorting in baccarat. He and a playing partner were accused of exploiting imperfections in the design of playing cards to gain an advantage. Legal battles ensued, and Ivey’s actions were a subject of considerable debate within the gambling community.
- Business Ventures: Outside of poker, Phil Ivey has been involved in various business ventures, including his own online poker training site.